October 4, 2011

Hobby to Business

I mentioned in my last post that I had  Dreams. Goals. Plans. I want to focus a bit on those plans.



I'm on a sort of vacation. Living simple and relaxing. 
We're moving, we gave our notice for the end of this month, so until its final that we can move in with my mother in law we are staying over...without or belongings. 
OK.. clothes and toys and my husbands paint ball gun. (He needs his toys too right?)
Once we start packing and moving everything I'm going to put a limit on what we keep and what we keep out. Goodwill is going to get a lot of stuff. 
Anyways. Until then I've got my computer hooked up and a lot of pictures to work on. For the last year and a half my desktop computer has been at our church, where my husband used to work as a youth pastor. Well we had our laptop so we never really brought it back home until now. So I'm having a lot of fun sifting through all our photos. 

{one of my first creations}



Photos. That's what brought me to small Business month. I received a camera after I graduated high school. I'm 26 now with too many photos to count. 
I love to take pictures. 
I love editing pictures. 
Kids and scenery. Close ups. Textures. Adding scriptures. 




I can't get enough of it. 
I dreamed once of making postcards of my own pictures. I wondered who could sell them and all the money I could make for something that I took time to create. I sold some a few years back in a local antique store at the front counter. 
I dreamed of people owning my photography. 
Something I created. 
You know when you buy a frame and each slot has a cute little black and white photo of a family or a flower? What if my pictures where in there?


 

{I even tried making my own logo.}


That dream was put on hold for a few reasons. 

1. I was spending all my time at church. Classes, worship practice, nursery, youth group. 
2. SURPRISE we had a baby. 
3. SURPRISE we had another baby. 
4. I'm lazy. {sad but true}
5. I didn't know how to make it reality. 

I think it's time to change that. 
I'm ready to do something for me. I never do that. 
This month I'm going to get organized and post some work on etsy. So the month of October will be a new beginning. I've actually had my etsy account for a couple years when I was working on postcards... 
But I'm ready to dive in and see what happens. 

4 comments:

A Little Piece of Me said...

Haha! You're funny. :) I like your list about being Lazy, sad but true. Love your honesty. :)

Emily Stephens said...

Hi - I'm stopping by from Three's 4 Me and I have to say "YAY!" Good for you for setting a goal for yourself. And, now that it's in writing you'll be more apt to stick too it. {'Cuz we'll all be asking and you'll get tired of listening to us!

I, too, am taking the plunge and kicking off my new business next Monday. Super exciting time for all of us.

Best,
Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

SV said...

Hi Darcie! Congrats on wanting to take the plunge!!! And good for you for wanting to do something for YOU.

Pidg said...

Yay for you! Let us know when you get your shop up and running. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who admits I'm lazy. But I think "lazy" as a mom is not the same as "lazy" to the non-mom...{no I'm not justifying..just sayin'} wink...